When I was a child I loved to eat blé, something about the texture and nutty flavor made it one of my favorite things to eat. I would beg my grandmother every time she came home to make it for me. There was (and still is) something so special about having her cook for me. Whatever she makes I know will be filled with love, tenderness and most importantly flavor.
What You’ll need:
- 2 Cups of Blé (Bulgur wheat)
- 2 red beans
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 2 lbs of fish fillet or whole fish (any flaky fish, I used cod)
- Tritri (sundried Crayfish/shrimp)
- 2 tsp of Adobo
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 1/2 cups of water
- 1 1/2 limes
- 2 TBS of Epise
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 Roma tomatos
- 1 TBS of coconut milk
- 1 Shallot
- 1 TBS of tomato paste
- 2 TBS of virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS of Curry powder
To cook beans
- Soak beans overnight
- Add a garlic clove to the water then boil until they are cooked (give under medium pressure).
- Make sure to reserve the broth because you will later use it to cook the blé.
To season and cook fish:
- Rinse fish well with cold water
- Squeeze the juice of half a lime onto fish (don’t rinse)
- Pour Epise on fish and mix well
- Cover fish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes
To cook the Blé
- Add oil to a pot and allow to heat well (but not too high)
- In your mortar and pestle mash up garlic the add to heated pot
- Add Epise
- Allow to cook until the garlic starts to brown
- Add beans, maggi (crush maggi in your hands first), tritri, thyme, shallots. Allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the leftover broth from the beans
- Rinse the blé with cold water
- Add in rinsed blé
- Cook on high heat until all the water is absorbed
- Once all the water has been absorbed turn down the heat to low, cover the pot and allow to simmer for at least 45 minutes.
Your fish should now be cooked!
- Remove the fish from the stove
- When you remove the pan from the stove you will have seasoned fish stock.
- Reseve the stock because you will later use this for the curry
Now For the Curry
- Cut the tomatoes into quarter, remove seeds
- Add tomatoes to a deep skillet and allow to cook until soft
- Add chopped onion and garlic. Allow the chopped onion to cook until they are transparent
- Add in any curry powder of your choice, tomato paste and scotch bonnet pepper. I used Jamaican and Thai Curry. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Make sure to mix well.
- Pour in the fish stock and allow to cook for 10 minutes (to allow all your flavors to blend well). I add in the stock 1/2 cup at a time. So add stock, cook 2 minutes, then add stock, then cook. You get the idea….
- Add 1 TBS of coconut milk. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste the sauce. Make sure to tailor it to your taste (add salt if needed, or dilute with hot water it there is too much).
- Add the fish (be careful not to allow the fish to fall apart). Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile your blé is still cooking 🙂