Legume with white rice is the only dish that I can eat everyday for the rest of my life and not grow tired of it. Not only is it packed with flavor, it’s also very healthy. This Legume can be made 100% vegetarian (by substituting the meat with tofu or just using the vegetables), or made with any choice of red meat or poultry. It’s a time consuming dish to make but it’s well worth the effort.
What you’ll need.
- 2 Lbs of Beef cubes (or any cut really)
- Beef marrow bones
- 2 Purple Eggplants
- 4 Chayote (skin removed, and split in half, the core should be removed. Peel using a vegetable peeler. **Note: This should done while wearing gloves because the milk of the chayote will peel your hands. It isn’t toxic to your skin.
- 1 Bunch of Fresh watercress
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 Bell pepper
- Lima beans (fresh or frozen)
- 3 Blue crabs (or crab legs)
- 2 Limes
- 2 Sour oranges
- Sour orange marinade
- 4 medium carrots (or two large ones)
- Smoked pork tails (optional)
- 4 TBS of Epise
- Tomato Paste
- Sour Orange marinade
- Clean the beef with the lime, followed by the sour orange (do not chaude)
- After the meat is properly cleaned, mix in epise, and 2 TBS of sour orange marinade, and 1 TBS of Adobo. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
- After marinating, transfers the meat to deep pot. Add in cleaned crabs and smoked pork tails.
- Allow the beef to cook until all the liquid has dried (about 30-45 minutes).
- Once there is no more liquid in the pot, add 2 TBS of tomato paste and brown for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 of water to help dilute the tomato paste.
Note: You don’t want the meat to be too done because you will cook it again.
- Once the meat is done remove the meat and the crabs from the pot and reserve for later.
- In the same pot add in sliced eggplant (skinned removed), Carrots, Chayote, Cabbage, and water cress. Cover with a tight fitting lid then cook on medium heat until the cabbage and eggplant are fully cooked (this make take about an hour)
*Note: if you lid cannot fit cover the vegetables with a white grocery plastic bag, then replace the lid. As the cabbage vegetables cook the volume will decreased. You essentially want to steam cook the vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, remove the carrots (as much as you can), and the watercress.
- With a potato mashers mash the eggplant, chayote, and cabbage until it’s the consistency of a paste. It’s ok if you see pieces of cabbage but all of the eggplant and chayote should be blended in.
- Return everything back to the pot (meat, crabs, watercress, carrots) then add defrosted lima beans.
- Season with Adobo to taste, add in the juice of ½ lime, 4 TBS of olive oil, add in thyme and parsley tied together with cooking string, sliced bell pepper and 2 TBS of tomato paste. Stir the pot (be careful not to mash the meat) to mix all of the ingredients together.
- Cook on medium-low heat until all the liquid has dried.
Serve with Haitian white rice.