I know I’ve neglected this blog horribly and it’s been months since I’ve posted. Fortunately for my family I didn’t stop cooking, just couldn’t carve out the time to organize and post. Things are less hectic now so I will be able to post more recipes. Let’s start with this dish that I love so much but can rarely find a restaurant that makes it.
What you’ll need
- 2 lbs of tripe
- 3 cans of butter peans
- Smoked pork tails or Smoked turkey
- Epise and 1 Maggi cube
- Sour orange and Lime for cleaning
- 2 tsp of Tumeric
- 2 TBS of olive oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 large sweet pepper
- Clean tripe with Sour orange and Lime.
- Chaude and allow the tripe to sit in the hot water bath for 5 mins
- Season tripe with Epise (allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes)
- Place tripe, smoked meat (pork or turkey), thyme, Maggi cube, tumeric, oil and enough water to just cover the meat in a deep pot or dutch oven. Cover and allow to cook on medium heat. Monitor the tripe so it doesn’t burn.
- When both the tripe and smoked meat are cooked (can easily break with your teeth ) add the butter beans, chopped onion, tumeric, sweet pepper and 3 cups of water. Salt to taste.Serve with white rice