Epise: epise is the holy grail of Haitian cooking, it’s the marinade that we use to marinate all types of meats. Epise can be used to marinate meat, fish, base for sauces, add extra flavor to rices (or any grains) etc.
- Garlic (2 whole bulbs)
- Parsley (1 bunch)
- Ground ginger or fresh (2 tsp)
- Green onion (10)
- Sweep pepper (bell peppers) (3)
- Maggi (4) – if you want to skip the maggi instead you can use a mixture of ground black and white pepper, 1 tsp of tumeric, 1/2 tsp of cumin
- Fresh Sour orange juice (1 cup)
- Fresh Lime Juice (2 TBS)
- White vinegar (2 TBS)
- Sea or Kosher salt (to taste)
- Habanero Pepper (2)
- Smoked Paprika (1 TBS)
- Olive Oil (1/2 cup)
Puree all the ingredients together in a blender until it’s well mixed.
Chaude: To pour boiling water over meat. This is done after you’ve cleaned the meat with sour orange and lime. Chaude all meats EXCEPT beef, and fish.